Planning to skip the summer heat of may? We got you covered!
Finding a way to literally chill your nerves from the scorching heat of Indian summers? Thank India for its diverse landscape. From mighty mountains to carefree beaches, India saves you from its very own heat waves. If you’re planning a cool getaway during summer holidays in the month of May, we spoils you with fifteen equally refreshing travel choices to help plan your perfect summer escape!
List of Top Destinations to Visit in May in India
- Manali, Himachal
- Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra
- Gangtok, Sikkim
- Shillong, Meghalaya
- Auli, Uttarakhand
- Darjeeling, West Bengal
- Coorg, Karnataka
- Ooty, Tamil Nadu
- Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
- Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
- Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
- Wayanad, Kerala
- Mcleodganj, Himachal
- Sainj Valley, Himachal
- Kausani, Uttarakhand
Check out: All Inclusive India Tour Packages
Andaman and Nicobar Islands: Sea to let you feel!
A perfect summer getaway is incomplete without sandy beaches and cool margaritas. The Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a union territory of India, is a hub for some pretty amazing water activities with small island beaches.
From scuba diving to snorkeling, the islands offer crystal clear water and white-sand beaches. This place is a big-fat yes for all the water-babies to go and explore the coral reefs and swim with the fishes. And who knows if you get lucky with a hidden treasure on a shipwreck?
Things to Do in Andaman
- Experience the tales of history at Cellular Jail National Museum
- Scuba Diving and Snorkeling at Havelock Island
- Experience the wildlife at Mount Harriet and Madhuban
- Dwell into water adventure at Rajiv Gandhi Water Sports Complex
- Experience the corals at North Bay Beach
- Explore the local delicacies
How to Reach Andaman?
By Air: The quickest way to reach the islands is boarding a flight from mainland India. You can board a direct flight to Port Blair from Kolkata, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Delhi and Vizag.
By Water: Another convenient way is through waterways. You can take the water route from Chennai, Vizag and Kolkata.
Recommended Tour Packages
- 3 Night 4 Days Andaman Short Tour
- 6 Nights 7 Days Andaman Tour
- 8 Nights 9 Days Best of Andaman Tour
Manali: Hustle with the Citylights!
Located in the hills of Himachal Pradesh, is the resort town of Manali. It has retained its position as one of the best summer holiday destinations in India. Many people find themselves going back to this city every summer.
We don’t blame them! Because Manali has so much to offer. From picturesque views of mighty mountains to green meadows with flowing streams. It is also a renowned honeymoon destination.
Things to Do in Manali
- Rejuvenate yourself at Rohtang Pass by indulging in snow sports and adventure
- Visit Solang Valley to enjoy a bird’s eye view of the town. The ‘Snow Point’ also offers paragliding adventures for thrill seekers.
- Visit the old Hadimba Temple for some interesting anecdotes about Early India.
- Explore the town through short treks such as Bhrigu Trek or Hampta Pass Trek.
How to reach Manali?
By Air: The nearest airport from Manali is Bhuntar. It is at a distance of 50km from the city
By Road: Manali is 546 km from Delhi
By Rail: The nearest rail head from Manali is Chandigarh, at a distance of 291 km
Recommended Tour Packages
- 3 Nights 4 Days Manali Tour Package
- 4 Nights 5 Days Kullu Manali Tour Package
- 5 Nights 6 Days Shimla Manali Tour Package
Mahabaleshwar: Lose yourself in the fairytale forest!
This charming hill town is on the bucket-list of every Maharashtrian. With its enchanting view and mystical landscape, Mahabaleshwar is one of the best hill stations in Western India.
It is gifted with one of the few evergreen forests in India which makes it a paradise for all the nature enthusiasts. The cool, pleasant weather year-round, the vistas of the sunset and the spectacular views of lush green hills leaves you with a contented mind and soul.
Things to do in Mahabaleshwar
- Trek to Wilson Point to catch a breathtaking view of Sahyadri Mountain Range.
- Witness water fall from a tremendous height at Chinaman’s Falls.
- Experience the magic of air pressure at Arthur’s Seat. The valley throws back any small object you try to dispose off in the mountain range.
- Visit the architectural grandeur of the glorious Maratha legacy, Mahabaleshwar Temple.
- Enjoy a picnic at Veena Lake with some lip smacking snacks.
How to Reach Mahabaleshwar?
By Air: The nearest airport from Mahabaleshwar is in Pune, at a distance of 120 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Mahabaleshwar is Wathar, at a distance of 4 km.
By Road: Regular bus services are provided by Maharashtra State Road Transport service which connects the city to major cities of the state.
- Popular Hill Stations in Maharashtra
Gangtok: Regret if you miss it!
A slice of India’s heaven is the capital city of Sikkim. Gangtok is an amalgamation of Hindu, Tibetan and Nepali culture. The bustling alleys of the city whisper stories about the teachings of Lord Buddha and how he changed the lives of many people.
Blessed with remarkable natural resources, elegant mountains and some fascinating panoramas, this capital city of Sikkim has all that you seek in a perfect summer destination.
Things to do in Gangtok
- Visit the Rumtek Monastery which depicts the spirit of Buddhism
- Enjoy the Seven Sisters’ Waterfall. As the name suggests seven waterfalls of different sizes fall side by side.
- Trek to Chhangu Lake and Tsomgo Lake that offers a bird eye-view of Gangtok. Take a cable car to reach the highest point of Gangtok.
- Educate yourself about the diverse flora and fauna of the capital city by visiting the Himalayan National Zoological Park.
- Witness an enchanting view of the third highest peak of the world, Kanchenjunga from Tashi View Point
How to Reach Gangtok?
By Air: The nearest airport from Gangtok is Bagdogra, at a distance of 124 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Gangtok is New Jalpaiguri, at a distance of 148 km
Recommended Tour Packages
- 3 Nights 4 Days Best of Gangtok Tour
- 4 Nights 5 Days Gangtok Darjeeling Tour
- 4 Nights 5 Days Gangtok Pelling Tour
Shillong: Scotland of East
Popularly known as the ‘Scotland of East’ is the hill station and capital city of Meghalaya. It is one of the most desirable destinations in North East India. And why shouldn’t it be? With maximum temperature rarely crossing 25 degree Celsius, ‘The Abode of Clouds’ feels like an icepack on a very hot day.
The city is well-developed but has not lost its rustic colonial charm. The beauty of this town comes from its crystal clear lakes, lush green hills and exquisite cascades.
Things to Do in Shillong
- Hike to the highest point of the city, Shillong Peak to capture a panoramic view of the city
- Witness the Elephant Falls cascading down the hills. People with a strong heart can also opt waterfall hopping.
- Boating on Umiam Lake. This pristine waterbody is surrounded by rich flora on both sides and offers various adventure activities such as water skiing and sailing
- Visit the cleanest village in Asia, Mawlynnong. The village offers an experience that makes you feel closest to nature.
- Detached from the citylife, Shillong offers an exciting nightlife experience. This small town has exclusive night clubs, lounges and bars.
How to Reach?
By Air: Shillong has its own airport, Shillong Airport
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Shillong is Guwahati, at a distance of 100 km
Other Interesting Blog to Read
- Best Reasons to Visit North East India
Auli: Charming and Cool!
Auli, located in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand, is a skiers’ paradise. Due to its elevation, the town is free from carbon footprints and gives you a peaceful environment to enjoy your holiday.
The snow-clad slopes and terrains of Auli leave you mesmerized by its white beauty. A 500-metre long ski lift is a runway to heaven for all the snowboarders and skiers. In summers, the hill station is adorned with flora and forms the Valley of Flowers.
Things to Do in Auli
- Onboard the ropeway from Joshimath to Auli to enjoy bird-eye view of the town.
- Boating on one of the highest man-made lakes in the world, Lake Auli
- Trek to Gorson Bugyal amid coniferous forests and old oak trees
- Camp under the moonlit sky in Kwani Bugyal
How to Reach Auli?
By Air: The nearest airport from Auli is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, at a distance of 280 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Auli is Haridwar, at a distance of 285 km
By Road: Auli is located at a distance of 500 km from Delhi
Other Interesting Blog to Read
- Best Hill Destinations to Visit in Uttarakhand
Darjeeling: Chai aur Charcha!
Haven for all the chai-lovers! Darjeeling is an epitome of natural goodness. Imagine taking a stroll around a captivating view with an aroma of tea hanging in the air. Fulfil your long-lost dream of riding a toy train around the sprawling greenery of the town.
Wake up with an exquisite sunrise and a hot steaming cup of Darjeeling tea. Witness the diversity of culture where people live harmoniously and respect others’ beliefs.
Things to Do in Darjeeling
- Visit Buddhist monasteries such as Peace Pagoda and Ghoom for tranquility and peace
- Visit the Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park, the largest high-altitude zoo in India
- Enjoy a fun evening at Batasia Loop and walk around like a local
- Toy Train rides are a huge must while visiting Darjeeling
How to Reach Darjeeling?
By Air: The nearest airport from Darjeeling is Bagdogra, at a distance of 65 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead is Darjeeling Railway Station
By Road: Darjeeling is located at a distance of 165 km from Kolkata
Recommended Tour Packages
- 5 Nights 6 Days Darjeeling Tour with Pelling
- 6 Nights 7 Days Darjeeling Gangtok Pelling Tour
- 5 Nights 6 Days Darjeeling Gangtok & Kalimpong Tour
Coorg: Just out of a painting!
Nestled in the Western Ghats is another beautiful hill town, Coorg. Do you know why it has maintained its position as one of the best places to visit in India? Because this town is like a painting drawn by the celestial beings.
The melancholic trails with clear sky as the background does not disappoint anyone. Adding to its undefined beauty are the tea and coffee plantations.
Things to Do in Coorg
- Visit the ancient tribal temple of Igguthappa
- Kick your summer blues by playing in the cold waters of Abbey Falls and Iruppu Falls
- Trek to the famous tourist attractions like Pushpagiri and Brahmagiri
- Quad bike amidst the private coffee estates
- River rafting is done at the Barapole River which is a must-visit for adventurers
How to Reach?
By Air: The nearest airport from Coorg is Mangalore, at a distance of 160 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Coorg is Mysore, at a distance of 95 km
By Road: Coorg is located at a distance of 237 km from Bangalore
Other Interesting Blog to Read
- Popular Tourist Places in Coorg
Ladakh: Roadtrip par chalein!
One of the best Indian destinations to travel in May, Ladakh is a high altitude cold desert. Its earthy hillscape adds color to the hues of the blue sky and makes this place an eye-candy for all travel buffs.
We have imagined ourselves riding an Enfield on the long journey to Leh-Ladakh and this summer is the perfect time to change it into a reality. This town boasts of lip smacking local cuisines, soft pashmina shawls and the hospitality of the locals.
Things to Do in Ladakh
- Worship at Buddhist monasteries such as Shanti Stupa, Sankar Monastery
- Bike through the high passes of Leh-Ladakh to the highest motorable pass in the world, Khardungla Pass. This road takes you to one of the most beautiful lake in Ladakh, Pangong Tso
- Raft your way through the high rapids of River Indus
- Trek through Nubra Valley to visit the largest national park in North India, Hemis National Park
How to Reach Ladakh?
By Air: The nearest airport from Ladakh is Leh Airport
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Ladakh is Jammu Tawi Railway Station, at a distance of 700 km
By Road: The nearest major city from Ladakh is Delhi, at a distance of 1300 km. Make sure to take enough stops enroute and forbid traveling at night
Also Check out: Popular Ladakh Tourism Packages
Ooty: Lushy and Mushy Hill Town
Queen of the Nilgiris is one of the best hill stations of South India. Ooty is where the Western Ghats meet the Eastern Ghats. Thus, do not get too shocked if you encounter unique species of flora and fauna. This summer retreat is abounded with tea and coffee gardens, waterfalls, lakes and other natural beauties.
Things to Do in Ooty
- Board the toy train along the Nilgiri Mountain region to enjoy stunning beauty of the town
- Visit the Botanical and Rose Garden to witness the flora of the land
- Enjoy the calm waters of Lake Ooty on a boat
- Mountain biking, hand gliding, cycling and camping are some of the adventure activities offered in Ooty
- Visit Doddabetta Peak to watch sunrise and the panoramic view of the city
How to Reach Ooty?
By Air: The nearest airport from Ooty is Coimbatore International Airport, at a distance of 80 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead in Ooty is Udhagamandalam Railway Station
By Road: Ooty is located at a distance of 280 km from Bangalore
- Popular Hill Stations in Tamil Nadu
Srinagar- Paradise on Earth
You don’t have to die to experience the luxuries of heaven. You can always visit the very ‘Paradise on Earth’ that is Srinagar. Set amidst the beautiful valleys of Kashmir- Srinagar is just the place to spend your summers away from the bustling metro life. How about leaving everything behind and waking up in the middle of water? Well, that is the beauty of Srinagar and its houseboat stays.
Things to Do in Srinagar
- Stay at the houseboats of calm and peaceful Nageen Lake
- Visit the personification of mughal grandeur and architecture- Mughal Garden
- Drive to Gulmarg for a gondola ride on the high altitude of Kashmir Valley to enjoy the picturesque view
- Hike around Chatpal located in South Kashmir for natural bliss with gushing creeks, forgotten forests and lush green hills
How to Reach Srinagar?
By Air: The nearest airport is Srinagar Airport
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Kashmir is Jammu Railway Station, at a distance of 290 km
By Road: Srinagar, Kashmir is located at a distance of 809 km from Delhi
Recommended Tour Packages
- 5 Nights 6 Days Best of Kashmir Tour
- 7 Nights 8 Days Magical Kashmir Tour
- 5 Nights 6 Days Romantic Kashmir Tour
Tawang: Enlightenment with a view!
Tawang, a historical mountain town nestled in the hills of Himalayan range of Arunachal Pradesh. Its rich history and abundance of nature’s elements makes it one of the best summer destinations in India.
Away from the toxic carbon footprints, this place is an untouched beauty. Its serene waterfalls, mystical forests and mighty peaks is the perfect detoxification your soul needs.
Things to Do in Tawang
- Visit the 14th century Tawang Monastery- the second largest monastery in Asia. A treasure trove of old manuscripts and artifacts related to the life of Lord Buddha
- Trek through the dense woods of the Tipi Orchid Sanctuary
- Drive through the Sela Pass- the only high altitude motorable pass
- Hike to the 22,500 feet tall, Gorichen Peak for a panoramic beauty of white mountains
- Visit the milky white Nuranang Waterfalls which seems like a white curtain on a green wall
How to Reach Tawang?
By Air: The nearest airport from Tawang is Salonibari Airport, at a distance of 315 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Tawang is Tezpur Railway Station, at a distance of 385 km
By Road: The best way to reach Tawang is through road as it takes you across the scenic roads of Arunachal Pradesh. There are various state-run buses and private buses operating between Tezpur and Tawang. Tawang is located at a distance of 1404 km from Kolkata.
Also Check out: Arunachal Pradesh Complete Tourism Guide
Kodaikanal: What to leave, so much to see!
Nestled amongst the Palani hills of Western Ghats, this hill town is a ‘gift of the forest’. Situated around the artificial Lake Kodaikanal, this dainty town has endless charms of nature that engulfs you in a peaceful sanity. Absorb the beauty of nature with misty mornings, dense woods and echoing hills that fills your heart with sheer happiness.
Things to Do in Kodaikanal
- Ride a boat on the clam waters of Lake Kodaikanal
- Take a lazy stroll on the Coaker’s Walk and enjoy the misty mornings of the hilltown
- Hike to the Dolphin’s nose- a short 3 – kilometer hike, which is shaped like a dolphin’s nose. This tourist hotspot is a photographer’s dream
- Kodaikanal is home to eight unique waterfalls. You can go waterfall hopping and try to cover as many as you can or just have a day chilling at the Bear Shola Falls
- Visit the Kurinji Andavar Temple to seek blessings from Lord Murugan
- Explore the traces of Paliyan tribe at Kukkal Caves that shows the hints of a tribe inhibiting the caves
- Visit the birdwatcher’s paradise- Berijam Lake. You can spot many migratory and resident birds at this particular spot
- Get lost in the dense and forgotten pine forest which feels like a fairytale background come to life
How to Reach Kodaikanal?
By Air: The nearest airport from Kodaikanal is Madurai Airport, at a distance of 120 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Kodaikanal is Kodai road, at a distance of 100 km
- Wildlife Tourism Information Tamil Nadu
Wayanad: Bliss in God’s own country
Dreading on the thought of travelling to Kerala in May summers? Trust us when we say, Wayanad is a destination you won’t regret crashing down to. Home to the long ranges of Western Ghats, white cascades and lush green woods, it feels like being in a dreamland.
This quaint little town has retained its rich cultural heritage along with the abounds of natural striking beauty in God’s very own country.
Things to Do in Wayanad
- Hike to the highest peak in Wayanad, Chembra Peak. It is a nature enthusiast’s dream come true. Another highlight of this activity is the heart shaped lake atop the hill
- Cycle around the tea plantations of Nilgiri, feeling the cool wind and breathing the aroma of coffee and cardamom plantations
- Safari at the Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary to watch the elephants going about their day along with the other creatures of the animal world
- Visit Thirunelli Temple- an ancient religious site known to be bestowed with the presence of Lord Brahma who installed the deity of Lord Vishnu in the temple
- Explore the Edakkal Caves- invaluable treasure of human history. The carvings on the walls of the caves are from a time lost in the past. It is considered to be the best attraction of Wayanad
- Drive through the steep and twisted roads to reach Ghat View Point. Witness the sky change its colors at sunset with a glimpse of Arabian Sea
How to Reach Wayanad?
By Air: The nearest airport from Wayanad is Karipur International Airport, at a distance of 100 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Wayanad is Kozhikode Railway Station, at a distance of 110 km
- Popular Wildlife Sanctuaries and National Parks in Kerala
Sainj Valley and GHNP: The Unspoilt Beauty of Himalayan Villages
In the Kullu Valley lies a hidden gem by the name Great Himalayan National Park (GHNP). Spread across Sainj Valley and Tirthan Valley, the National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Housing some of the most exotic and endangered species of flora and fauna, GHNP also exhibits some of the best trekking destinations in the state.
Offering a raw cultural and natural experience of the Himalayas, Sainj Valley and GHNP will take you across some of the oldest villages in the valley, some dating back to 15th century. Exploring their culture and traditions would indeed be a unique experience.
Things to Do in GHNP and Sainj Valley
- Trekking in Great Himalayan National Park
- Shangarh meadow field which was once home to Pandavas during exile
- Exploring the Sainj Market
- Trying out local delicacies
- Staying with the locals
How to Reach Sainj Valley?
Located in the Kullu valley, Sainj Valley can be easily accessed via roads and air.
By Air: The nearest airport is in Bhuntar, which is 40 km from Sainj Valley. However, the airport doesn’t operate many flights. You can reach Sainj via taxi from Bhuntar airport.
By Train: The nearest railway station is in Pathankot, which is well-connected to other major Indian cities. Located 260 km away, you can reach Sainj via taxi from Pathankot railway station.
By Road: Sainj is well-connected by road. Himachal Road Tourism operates numerous state-run buses to Bhuntar, from where you can board the bus bound for Sainj. You can also take a shared taxi from Bhuntar to reach Sainj Valley.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
- Best Places to Explore in Himachal
Spiti Valley: The Wilderness and Prowess of Himalayas
One of the harshest conditions to survive on the planet, Spiti is still one of the top destinations to travel in May for the past 3 years. Known as the middle land, Spiti is a barren cold desert in Himachal Pradesh. However, this harsh environment and cold temperature make Spiti an adventurer’s paradise.
A bike trip across the Spiti valley will introduce you to the barren side of Himalayas and while you might consider this place uninhabitable, you will be surprised to come across the locals who have been calling this place home for centuries now. Fighting for survival on a daily basis yet these local villages would welcome you with a beaming smile. One of the best places to go in India for summer break, Spiti valley is sometimes referred to a rite of passage for travellers in India.
Things to Do in Spiti Valley
- Monastery tour is one of the must-do things in Spiti, including famous Tabo Monastery, Key Monastery, Lhalung Monastery and Gandhola Monastery
- Witness the beauty of enchanting Chandratal and Suraj Tal
- Visit Dhankar Lake for a photography session
- Drive/Ride across high mountain passes, including Kunzum Pass, Baralacha Pass
- Visit villages of the valley – Kibber, Losar, Udaipur and Komik
How to Reach Spiti Valley?
Located in Himachal Pradesh, Spiti is only accessible via roads that too only in the summer season.
By Air: The nearest airport is in Bhuntar, however, the flight connectivity is low. You would have to travel to Spiti by road.
By Rail: There is no rail connectivity to the valley.
By Road: Spiti Valley can be accessed through roads. There are two major routes, one going through Manali and other going through Shimla and Kinnaur via Hindustan-Tibet highway.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
- Interesting Facts about Himachal Pradesh
Kausani: A Place Offering a 360° View of the Himalayas
One of the best travel destinations for May, Kausani is famous for its Himalayan sightings. From the view of famous Himalayan peaks like Trishul, Panchachuli and Nanda Devi to several natural hideouts, Kausani is a breath of fresh air.
Escape the scorching summer sun and plan a trip to this place as Kausani with its natural scenic beauty would rejuvenate your mind and body. This place is also home to numerous waterfalls and pilgrimage destinations. Ideal for solo travellers, you can enjoy the best of Himalayan landscapes in Kausani within the comforts of luxury resorts or homestays.
Things to Do in Kausani
- Rudradhari Waterfalls and caves give you a glimpse of the prowess of mother nature
- View of Himalayan peaks Nanda Devi, Trishul and Panchachuli
- Visit Baijnath Temple and Anasakti Ashram for a spiritual experience
- Explore the beauty of this place at Kausani Tea Estate
- Trek to Pinnath for some solitude and silence
How to Reach Kausani?
Kausani is a serene hill resort in Uttarakhand, just 52 km from the famous town of Almora and can be reached easily from all parts of India.
By Air: The nearest airport to Kausani is in Dehradun, which is 294 km away. You can book a taxi to reach Kausani from the airport.
By Train: The nearest railway station is in Kathgodam, which is well connected to other major Indian cities. The distance between Kathgodam and Kausani is 180 km and you can book a taxi to reach here from the railway station.
By Road: Kausani is well-connected by roads. You can either take a taxi or state-run buses to reach Kausani. State highway 109 passes through Kausani.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
- Top Destinations to Visit in June in India
Mcleodganj: Land of His Holiness- Dalai Lama
The last on the list of the best places to visit in India in May is Mcleodganj. Known fondly as the ‘Little Lhasa’ by many avid explorers, this town is a perfect example of harmony between Indian and Tibetan culture.
Comprising trekking trails, soothing weather, hippie vibes and vibrant culture, this hill town can never let your expectations drown. Adventure Travel bucket-list is incomplete without the ‘Land of His Holiness- Dalai Lama’.
Things to Do in Mcleodganj
- Visit Bhagsu Falls and take a dip in the freezing water and devour some finger-licking tibetan food at nearby cafes
- Trek to the crown jewel of Dharamshala, Triund. Camp overnight under the moonlit sky perfect for stargazing. Do not forget to enjoy steaming hot maggie with the white Dhauladhar in the backdrop
- Visit the Namgyal Monastery- the largest Tibetan temple outside of Tibet. It is the abode of Dalai Lama, the Tibetan Spiritual Leader
- Explore the 8th century Masroor Temple for its ancient North Indian Nagra architectural style. It is well-known for its artistic masterpieces and stone carvings on the monolithic rocks
- Visit a hidden hippie village near Mcleodganj, Dharamkot. This village is blessed with lesser human population and is an ideal getaway to soak all the serenity and tranquility the mountains have to offer
How to Reach Mcleodganj?
By Air: The nearest airport from Mcleodganj is Kangra Airport, at a distance of 30 km
By Rail: The nearest railhead from Mcleodganj is Pathankot Station, at a distance of 90 km
By Road: Dharamshala is located at a distance of 480 km from Delhi
- Top Things to Do in June in India
Buran Ghati Trek: Trek Through High Mountain Pass, Lush Meadows and Dense Forests
If you are looking for amazing spots to visit in summer season, then don’t look much further than Buran Ghati Trek. Perfect for an adventure trip, Buran Ghati is arguably the most fun trek to do in India. Offering 5 snow slides, high mountain passes and a chance to rappel down a snow wall at an elevation of 15,000ft, Buran Ghati trek will help you push your limits.
Passing through dense forests and grasslands, the trekking trail finally opens up to the panoramic view of Himalayan giants. Starting at Janglik in Himachal Pradesh, the trek will open you up to new possibilities and the spirit to tackle the challenges head-on.
Starting Point for Buran Ghati Trek: Janglik is the base camp for the Buran Ghati trek.
Trek Route: Janglik-Dayara-Litham-Chandernahan Lake-Dhunda- Buran Ghati-Barua Village.
Highlight of Buran Ghati Trek: Rupin Pass waterfall, Rupin river, snowfields.
Height of Buran Ghati: 15,000 feet
Duration of Buran Ghati Trek: 8 Days
Difficulty: Moderate to difficult, mainly because of continuous trekking.
How to Reach Janglik?
Janglik is a 6-hour journey from Shimla and can be accessed via roads.
By Air: The nearest airport to Janglik is in Shimla, which is 170 km away. Shimla Airport is well-connected by major Indian cities and you can book a taxi to reach Janglik from the airport.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Janglik is in Shimla, which is 165 km from Janglik. You can book a taxi to reach here from the railway station.
By Road: Janglik is a 6-hour journey from Shimla. The closest road to Janglik ends at Diude, from where you have to trek to Janglik.
Also Check out: Popular Trekking Tours in Himalayas
Milam Glacier Trek: Head to What is Known as the Mini Mount Everest of India
For the adventure seekers, month of May opens up a whole new world of trekking in the Himalayas. In the Kumaun district lies a trekking trail which has the power to hold you captive forever. Passing through dense forest, the trail leads up to the Milam Glacier.
The trek was closed for 3 decades, between the period of 1962 and 1992. The remains of Indo-China war can still be traced here in the glacier. Offering a panoramic view of Himalayan ranges and thrill of glacier trekking, Milam Glacier should be on every trekker’s bucket list for places to visit in May in India.
Starting Point for Milam Glacier Trek: Munsiyari would be the starting point of the trek.
Trek Route: Munsiyari – Lilam – Bugdyar – Martoli – Ganghar – Pachu – Milam – Milam Glacier – Rilkot – Bugdyar – Lilam – Munsiyari.
Highlights of Milam Glacier Trek: Milam Glacier, view of Mt. Trishul & Hardeol.
Height of Milam Glacier: 13,612 feet
Duration of Milam Glacier Trek: 9 Days
Difficulty: Moderate to difficult, mainly because of steep ascent.
How to Reach Munsiyari?
Located in Kumaon region, Munsiyari is easily accessible from all parts of India.
By Air: Pantnagar is the nearest airport to Munsiyari, at a distance of 312 km. However, Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the most connected airport in the state, which is 412 km. You can book a taxi from either airport to reach Munsiyari.
By Train: The nearest railway station is in Kathgodam which is 285 km from Munsiyari. You can reach Munsiyari from Kathgodam by booking a taxi.
By Road: Munsiyari is well-connected by roads and it is accessible from all parts of India. The road to Munsiyari is some of the most scenic roads in the state.
Check out: Milam Glacier Detailed Trekking Itinerary
Rupin Pass Trek: Go on a Trek Adorned with Waterfalls, Gorges, and Rivers
If you were to do just one more trek in your lifetime, Rupin Pass would be the best choice. A trail of unexpected turns and sceneries, the trek route resembles an orchestra with the trail going up and down with surprise at every corner. For the most part of the trek, you would be accompanied by the Rupin River, eventually leading up to the highlight of the trek, Rupin Waterfall.
Once you ascend the waterfall, the view changes drastically. You will be welcomed by vast snow fields and snow-capped mountains. The Rupin Pass trek is not just a trail that takes you to a mountain top, rather it’s a romantic journey across the magnificent Himalayas.
Starting Point for Rupin Pass Trek: Dhaula is the base camp for the Rupin Pass trek.
Trek Route: Dhaula – Sewa – Jiskun – Udaknal – Dhanderas Thatch – Rupin Waterfall Top – Rati Pheri – Rupin Pass – Ronti Gad – Sangla
Highlights of Rupin Pass Trek: Rupin Pass waterfall, Rupin river, snowfields.
Height of Rupin Pass: 15,250 feet
Duration of Rupin Pass Trek: 10 Days
Difficulty: Moderate to difficult, mainly because of continuous trekking.
How to Reach Dhaula?
Dhaula is located in Uttarakhand and it is well-connected by roads, rail and airways.
By Air: The nearest airport to Dhaula is Jolly Grant International Airport in Dehradun, which is 213 km away. You can book a taxi to reach here.
By Train: The nearest railway station is in Dehradun, 190 km from Dhaula. You can book a taxi to reach here from the railway station.
By Road: Dhaula is connected by roads and you can reach here by shared taxi or personal vehicle.
Also Check out: Best Treks for Summer Season in India
Summers are no more frustrating to bear when you have all these beautiful destinations to escape to. Let your need to get away from the exhausting sun lead you to one of the equally mesmerizing towns of India. So, get ready, grab a bag and plan a trip with Tour My India. Let the mountains cleanse your soul or let the sea set you free!
For any queries, feel free to post your questions in the comment section below.
Other Interesting Blogs to Read
- Best Summer Camping Destinations in India
- Offbeat Summer Hill Stations in India
- Best Summer Family Destinations in India
Like & Follow our social media accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin & Instagram for getting the latest updates & offers on holiday packages.
Disclaimer: We do not take credit for some of the licenced paid images used in our blogs, whether from Google Images, Fotolia & Shutterstock. All such images are the copyrights of their respective owners and we try to provide credit for them wherever we can. If, however, any copyright image has been used on our blog, the concerned person can either mail us directly to remove the image or provide credit to whomsoever the image may belong to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.Which are the popular festivals in May?
Some of the popular festivals in May in India include:
- Buddha Purnima
- Mount Abu Summer Festival
- Ooty Summer Festival
- Thrissur Poornima
Q.What are the top recommended places to visit in May?
The best places to visit in India in May include Kausani in Uttarakhand, Spiti Valley and Sainj Valley, Himachal Pradesh, and Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh.
Q.What are the best treks to do in India in May?
In May, many treks are available for the adventure lovers. Some of them are Buran Ghati trek in Himachal Pradesh, Milam Glacier in Uttarakhand, and Rupin Pass, a crossover trek between Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
Q.Which are the best activities to do in India in May?
In May, one can enjoy activities like river rafting in Rishikesh, wildlife safari, trout fishing in Tirthan Valley, scuba diving and snorkeling in Andamans, and skydiving in Mysore.
Q.Which are the best destinations for honeymoon in May?
Andaman, Lakshadweep, Manali, Sikkim, Mussoorie, Kashmir are some of the best destination for honeymoon in May.
Q.What are the best places to visit in May in North India?
Destinations of Uttarakhand and Himachal like Manali, Sainj Valley, Tirthan Valley, Auli, Kausani, Rishikesh, and Ladakh.
Q.What are the best destinations to be visited in South India in May?
The best places to visit in South India in May include Ooty, Thrissur, Lakshadweep, Andamans, and Mysore.
Q.What are the top places to visit in Northeast India in May?
Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, Gangtok in Sikkim, and Nagaland are the best places to visit in May in Northeast India.
Q.Which are the best places for couples in India in May?
Andaman, Lakshdweep, and Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh are the best places for couples to visit in May in India.