Building credit is the process of establishing and maintaining a good credit history. It is important to have good credit as it can impact your ability to get loans, credit cards, and other financial products in the future.
Building credit at 18 can be done by following these steps:
- Get a credit card: Apply for a secured credit card or become an authorized user on a parent’s credit card.
- Use credit responsibly: Avoid maxing out your credit card and make payments on time.
- Pay bills on time: Late payments can negatively impact your credit score.
- Keep credit card balances low: High credit card balances can lower your credit utilization ratio, which is a factor in determining your credit score.
- Monitor your credit: Regularly check your credit reports to ensure accuracy and address any errors.
- Consider a co-signed loan: Consider getting a loan with a co-signer, such as a parent, to build credit history.
It’s important to remember that building credit takes time and requires discipline, so be patient and responsible with your credit use.