Last year, Google integrated Chat with Gmail. Initially only available for Workspace users, the feature was rolled out to Gmail users on iOS, Android, and the web in May 2021. Due to the pandemic, many switched to remote work, enabling communication with ‘real-time collaborative chat’ from Slack, Microsoft Teams.
Google introduced Chat directly from Gmail so that it could compete with rivals. However, to use it one needs to activate Google Chat for Gmail. The process is different on browser and mobile device. Here’s a simple guide on how to activate Gmail chat.
Activate Google Chat on mobile
- Tap the three-line icon at the top-left corner. Scroll down and select “Settings.”
- Then select your account and navigate to “General”
- For Android toggle “Show the chat and spaces tabs.” If you’re using an iOS device, turn the “Show the chat and spaces tab” on.
- Following this you will see Chat and Spaces icons at the bottom of the screen.
Activate Google Chat on web browser
- Open your Gmail account and head to Settings
- Then select “See all settings”
- After that select “Chat and Meet” in the top menu
- You will be given the choice of selecting “Google Chat,” “Classic Hangouts,” and “Off”
- You will then see a sidebar for your chats and rooms on the right side of your Gmail inbox.
On mobile, tap the Chat icon, and then on the “New chat” popup in the lower-right corner, type in the name of the person you wish to chat with. Create your own space if you wish. The chat and space boxes on the web can be accessed by clicking the plus sign in the corners. Like mobile, you’ll see a drop-down menu. To chat with someone, you’ll need to enter their name into a field on top of the page, and then you’ll see a small pop-up box.