In this tutorial, we show you how to install and launch Minecraft on Chromebook. We will do our best to make sure that you follow this guide to the letter. I hope you like this blog How to Download and Play Minecraft on Chromebook. If your answer is yes then please do share after reading this.
- Check How to Download and Play Minecraft on Chromebook
- How to install Minecraft on Chromebook
- How to play Minecraft on Chromebook
- Final words: How to Download and Play Minecraft on Chromebook
Check How to Download and Play Minecraft on Chromebook
Minecraft is undoubtedly one of the most popular games in the world. After its release, Minecraft created a new type of game genre called sandbox games where players can create, modify, or destroy their environment, and now there are tons of sandbox games like Minecraft. After all, the game was developed for a variety of platforms, including Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and more. But even after all these years, the game was not designed for Chrome OS. But you don’t have to worry as Chrome OS now supports Android and Linux. Now, you are ready to install and play Minecraft on your Chromebook without much friction. So, let’s find out the steps to install Minecraft on Chromebook.
Minecraft introduced an Educational Edition for Chromebook users to encourage creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving skills. The game is primarily aimed at students who want to play Minecraft on their Chromebooks. However, the game is available on the Play Store as an Android app, which means that you still need to contact your school administrator to activate Google Play from your side. After all that said, here is how to get started. Before proceeding, make sure you’ve set up Linux on your Chromebook. To explain briefly, open Settings and click “Advanced” on the left panel to expand the menu.
How to install Minecraft on Chromebook
You don’t need to enable developer mode or install Crouton on your Chromebook here. You are going to install the Linux version of Minecraft on the Chromebook by installing the Linux operating system and then installing the Debian / Ubuntu Minecraft file in the Linux environment.
- Set up a Linux operating system on your Chromebook. If you have a newer Chromebook, you don’t need to install Linux manually as it has a built-in Linux system.
- To configure Linux, your Chromebook must be compatible with Linux. To check whether it is supported or not, go to this page. If it is not supported, please update it to the latest version.
- Go to the Quick Settings menu. Click on the gear icon to open Settings.
- Click Linux (Beta) in the navigation bar on the left side.
- Click the Activate button on Linux (Beta).
- A dialog box will appear and click the Next button to continue.
- Enter a preferred username for the Linux session.
- Click the Install button. Now it will begin to download the files necessary to create the virtual machine. We are going to install Linux inside this virtual machine. Once the installation is complete, the Linux Terminal window will appear.
- Go to the download page of the official Minecraft website and click the DEBIAN AND DEBIAN-BASED DISTRIBUTIONS link to download the Minecraft.deb file.
- Cut the download file, go to the Linux files within the My Files app, and paste that file there.
- Double click on the Minecraft.deb file.
- A dialog box will appear and click the Install button at the bottom of the box. Now, the installation of Minecraft on your Chromebook will start and it will take a few minutes. Actually, Minecraft will be installed inside the Linux virtual machine that was configured earlier.
- Once the installation is done, open the App Drawer.
How to play Minecraft on Chromebook
You can play the game with the WASD keys. But there is a problem with the sensitivity of the mouse. It’s a bit on the lower side. You can fix this problem by going to Options-> Mouse Settings and changing the Sensitivity to Hyperspeed.
You can make the playback smoother by enabling Chrome flags. But these options are only available on select Chromebooks.
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Type chrome: // flags / # crostini-gpu-support in the address bar and hit the Enter key.
- Find the Crostini GPU Support option and enable it by selecting Enabled from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Restart button in the lower right corner of the page.
- Follow the same procedure for the other two flags as well
- chrome: // flags / # exo-pointer-lock
- chrome: // flags / # enable-pointer-lock-options
For smoother playback, you will need to configure some graphics settings in Minecraft. Here is my video configuration settings in Minecraft for better performance.
If you still don’t get fluent gameplay after changing the settings above, then the ideal solution for your problem will be to install OptiFine on your Chromebook. OptiFine optimizes Minecraft performance on low-end devices. Follow the steps below to install OptiFine on your Chromebook.
- Go to https://optifine.net/downloads and download the compatible OptiFine version for the selected Minecraft version.
- You can find the downloaded OptiFine_1.XX.X_HD_U_XX.jar file inside the Downloads folder in the My Files application. Move it to the Linux files folder in My Files.
- Open the Linux Terminal application and run the following command.
- java -jar .jar
- Write the name of the jar file inside the brackets and remove them.
- java -jar OptiFine_1.13.2_HD_U_F5.jar
- Click the Install button in the dialog that appears.
- After the installation is done, close the Linux Terminal.
- Open the Minecraft launcher.
- Click on the Installations tab.
- Click the Play button next to the OptiFine version that you added earlier.
Final words: How to Download and Play Minecraft on Chromebook
This article explains how to download and play Minecraft on Chromebook, if you have any questions about it, please use the contact forum section. And if your answer is yes then please share this article with your family and friends.