Banyan tree is mainly found in warm and tropical regions worldwide. According to Ayurveda, the banyan tree is used for treating various diseases and infections. The banyan tree has several health benefits. The banyan tree is helpful to manage the glucose level in the blood by managing insulin secretion because of its antioxidant property. Another advantage of antioxidants present in banyan tree is it helps lower bad cholesterol in the body.
During arthritis, the banyan tree is beneficial as it has anti-inflammatory and analgesic property, which helps manage the pain and inflammation. The paste, which is prepared using banyan tree bark, is helpful during gum problems as it has substantial anti-inflammatory properties.
Sources of Banyan
Banyan tree is widely found in every state of India. For the growth of the Banayan tree, a warm and humid environment is required in most states in India.
Other Names for Banyan
There are different names of Banyan depending on regional languages in India.
- In Hindi, Banyan is known as Bad, Bargad, Baragad.
- In English, Banyan is known as a Banyan tree.
- In Kannada, Banyan is known as Alada mara, Aala, Vatavruksha.
- In Panjabi, Banyan is known as Bhod, Bhaur.
- In Gujarati, Banyan is known as Vad.
- In Marathi, Banyan is known as Vad.
- In Tamil, Banyan is known as Ala.
- In Telugu, Banyan is known as Peddamari.
Chemical compounds in Banyan
The banyan tree is rich in sources of bioactive compounds, which have medicinal importance. The roots of the banyan tree are enriched in Phytosterolin. The bioactive such as Friedelin, Triterpin, and Beta-sitosterol are found in leaves of the Banyan tree.
Highly medicinal components such as Leucocyanidin, Leucopelargonidin, flavonoid glycosides, Bengalinoside, and other glucoside are present in the bark banyan tree.
Health benefits of Banyan
Banyan and digestive system
The banyan tree has several health benefits for the gastrointestinal system. The herbal extracts of the banyan tree possess antimicrobial and healing properties, which are very helpful in relieving diarrhea and dysentery. Banayan tree is also rich in fiber content of Banyan, which is used effectively for preventing constipation.
Banyan and immunity
For boosting immunity, the extract obtained from the bark of Banyan tree bark is very effective. There is research evidence that the extracts of the banyan tree are rich in antioxidants and help in quenching the free radicals generated by the body and thereby helps to neutralize oxidative damage to improve the immunity further.
Banyan and arthritis
The leaves of the Banyan tree and the extracts it is rich in anti-inflammatory and analgesic components. These medicinal properties are essential for relieving arthritis symptoms.
Banyan and vaginal infections
There are herbal products available in medical stores, such as leaf powder, to prepare vaginal wash. The banyan tree leaf has an antimicrobial compound that helps fight against pathogenic microorganisms and helps relieve vaginal infections like leucorrhea.
Banyan and brain health
For preventing depression and anxiety, the fruits of the banyan tree help reduce stress. The bioactive compounds present in banyan fruits also help in enhancing memory and lowers the risk of seizures during panic attacks.
Banyan for skin health
When applied to the skin, the extracts of leaves of the banyan tree give a soothing effect. The paste prepared from the leaves of Banyan also helps to fight skin allergies, and therefore it is used in the preparation of topical formulations. The banyan supplements are also effective in lowering skin rashes and acne problems.
Banyan and Diarrhea
Banyan supplements are very effective in controlling diarrhea. The primary cause of diarrhea is improper food, toxins in the body, drinking of impure water, mental stress, etc. All these causes are responsible for leading aggravated Vata to diarrhea. The intake of bark powder from banyan trees helps to lower the loss of water from the body by making thick stool because of its astringent nature.
Other benefits and uses of Banyan
- The bioactive components present in the banyan leaves have antimicrobial properties, which help to treat chronic diarrhea and dysentery.
- During constipation, the extracts of the banyan tree are beneficial as it has a good amount of dietary fiber.
- The antimicrobial activity of banyan tree root extract helps fight bacterial infections responsible for gum disorder and tooth decay.
- Banyan tree root extract is used to prepare toothpaste as it has germicidal properties that are important to kill germs.
- The latex of the banyan tree is applied to the swelling and wound for quick relief.
- The decoction prepared from the bark of the banyan tree and its fruit is effective in treating diabetes.
- To boost immunity, the extract of the bark of the banyan tree is perfect.
- Banyan tree contains several antioxidants, and therefore these antioxidants help to scavenge the free radicals produced in the body during stressful situations and further helps to boosts immunity.
- The fruits of the banyan tree contain the compound serotonin that helps to fight against depression and anxiety.
- The massage using the oil extracts obtained from the banyan tree helps to provide muscle relaxation.
- The leaf extract of the banyan tree helps lower the low-density lipoproteins, i.e., the bad cholesterol. In contrast, it increases the concentration of high-density lipoproteins, i.e., the good cholesterol in the body.
- The latex of the banyan tree is used in treating situations like premature ejaculation.
- The decoction prepared using the banyan tree leaf is very effective for treating the problems like vomiting and nausea.
Recommended Dosage of Banyan
The ayurvedic dosage of Banyan varies according to its variants of different forms of banyan products.
|Bark Powder||Take three gram of Banyan bark powder and mix it with the milk.||Two times|
|Decoction (Kwath)||Take five grams of Banyan bark or leaf powder and mix it with two cups of water. Boil the mixture for 10 min. Filter it for further use.||NA|
|Bark Paste||Take three grams of Banyan bark or leaves powder and mix it with the honey to make a paste. Apply it on cuts and sunburn area.||NA|
Side effects and Precautions While Using Banyan
- There are no side effects on the consumption of banyan tree products, but they should be taken in appropriate quantities as a precaution.
- For a precautionary measure, if breastfeeding or pregnant women should avoid the intake of banyan tree products, it is better to consult a doctor.
Read more about: What Should You Do If You Develop COVID-19 Symptoms?
Is Banyan helpful in managing diabetes?
Yes, Banyan is very helpful in managing diabetes problems. Banyan tree supplements are rich in antioxidants. As a general property of antioxidants, they help prevent the damage of pancreatic cells due to the free radicals for enhancing insulin secretion. The banyan tree also possesses anti-inflammatory property that helps reduce the inflammation in the pancreas.
Is Banyan helpful in managing cholesterol levels?
Yes, the Banyan tree helps manage cholesterol levels. The banyan trees possess potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory property that helps in lowering the low-density lipoprotein, i.e., bad cholesterol levels in the body.
Can rheumatism be treated using Banyan supplements?
Yes, Banyan helps treat rheumatism because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The antioxidants present in Banyan interferes with the mediators responsible for inflammation and helps to lower it.
Can Banyan help to fight oral disorders?
Yes, Banyan helps in managing the inflammation in gums. Application of toothpaste prepared using Banyan bark helps to reduce inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory property.
Read more about: 10 Incredible Health Benefits Of Muskmelon
The Banyan is a tree that has immense importance in Ayurveda and medicine. It is the very oldest and most important tree in India. It is known as the national tree of India. According to Ayurveda, the banyan tree is used for treating various diseases and infections. The banyan tree has several health benefits.
The banyan tree is helpful to manage the glucose level in the blood by managing insulin secretion because of its antioxidant property. The banyan trees possess a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory property that helps in lowering the low-density lipoprotein, i.e., bad cholesterol levels in the body.
Read more about: Bhumi Amla: Uses, Benefits & Side Effects
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.