There is bad news for those who have been waiting to purchase Sony PlayStation 5. Sony has announced it is increasing the PS5 price in several markets, including the UK, Europe, Australia, and Canada. As a result, the PS5 will be even harder to get in Europe, where the new price is as high as 10 percent. In the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region, among others, the retail price of the PlayStation 5 will increase, but Sony has not mentioned anything about the India price.
Price hikes are the result of the current global economic environment, including “high global inflation rates” and “adverse currency trends”. Jim Ryan, President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said both these factors among several others are impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries.
“Based on these challenging economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price (RRP) of PlayStation 5 in select markets across Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), Latin America (LATAM), as well as Canada,” he said.
There is good news for PS5 buyers in the US, however, as the price hike does not apply to them. “There will be no price increase in the United States.” While Ray has not mentioned India, it is likely the prices here will go up eventually.
PS5 prices have been hiked in Sony’s priority markets, but availability remains a problem. Limited stocks of the PS5 have been available since its launch. However, Ray remains optimistic that things will improve soon. “Our top priority continues to be improving the PS5 supply situation so that as many players as possible can experience everything that PS5 offers and what’s still to come,” he said.
Here are the new PS5 prices in different markets:
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
- Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD 799.95
- PS5 Digital Edition – AUD 649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN 14,999
- PS5 Digital Edition – MXN 12,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD 649.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – CAD 519.99